18 May Crack Cocaine and What It Does to Your Body
Crack cocaine is one of the most addictive substances on the street today. Unlike cocaine that is usually snorted or injected after it is dissolved in a solution, crack users typically smoke the substance. A much faster and more intense high is reached through smoking the drug than by snorting cocaine, as it reaches both the blood and brain more quickly. The effects however are short lived, lasting from just 5-10 minutes. The good news is the withdrawal from crack does not cause as many physical symptoms as some recreational drugs, but the psychological effects of stopping can be severe and hard to manage. Our team of experts at Calm Rehab in Bali provides the intensive counseling and therapy required to recover from crack cocaine addiction and help you manage the symptoms of withdrawal. To help you or a loved one reach the decision to get help with addiction to crack it might help to first understand what it does to the body.
Short term effects of crack cocaine
Generally the short term physical and psychological effects of crack are more intense that snorting cocaine, and are similar to other abused stimulants such as methamphetamine.
- Intense euphoria, accompanied by increased awareness, a lowering of inhibitions and feelings of invincibility.
- Depression once the rush wears off making users feel depressed and angry. They may experience feelings of paranoia, anxiety and appear hostile. Intense cravings for another dose usually come after the initial euphoric rush subsides and the depression kicks in.
- Physical reactions for many users include an elevated heart rate, increased blood pressure, dilated pupils, decreased appetite, muscle spasms, convulsions.
- Nausea and rapid breathing are not uncommon reactions too. In the worst instances, crack users may experience heart attack, seizures or respiratory failure.
Long term effects of crack cocaine
Regular users will suffer many of the same long term effects as users of cocaine as well as other serious problems including:
- Damage to the respiratory system due to smoking the drug. The smoke causes lung damage, coughing, bleeding and shortness of breath.
- Continued regular use of crack results in insomnia and loss of appetite which over time causes malnutrition and other nutritional problems.
- Sexual dysfunction and possible infertility in both men and women.
- Oral problems such as burnt lips from the crack pipe getting too hot and severe decay of the teeth from smoke exposure.
- Permanent damage to blood vessels coupled with increased blood pressure can lead to heart damage and heart attacks, strokes, liver damage and kidney failure and even death.
- Mood disorders, delirium and psychotic symptoms such as hallucinations.
- Ever increasing tolerance and addiction.
Withdrawal from crack cocaine
Crack addicts develop both psychological and physical dependence on the drug. The psychological effects of going cold turkey or even reducing the amount you use include depression, fatigue, irritability, anxiety, cravings, psychosis.
Professional help is recommended as the chances of kicking the habit alone are very slim. The team of specialists at our drug rehab in Bali will give you the treatment and support you need to get clean.
As addiction to crack cocaine is so difficult to overcome independently, professional help is strongly advised. For the best chances of long-term sobriety treatment in a residential setting is the best option. Bali rehab Calm will make sure you or your loved one will have an individualised treatment plan that will focus on the unique ways your life has been affected by addiction. The benefits of rehab in
Bali are numerous but importantly by seeking help away from home you will be well away from the drug and anyone you normally use with. Addiction is a disease that should not be faced alone, at Calm Rehab we are ready to help you face it and start your new, sober life with you.
This blog is part of a series of content written by Calm Rehab, a specialist drug and alcohol treatment center located in Bali. Calm Rehab offers a range of professional and effective services to help individuals reclaim their lives and build a brighter future. If you, or a loved one, are struggling with drugs or alcohol, please contact Calm for advice.